The only way to get trees out was to float them down the river
Floated them down the Sinnemahoning, the Loyalsock, and the Clearfeild to saw mills on the Susquehanna.
When the west branch canal opened in 1834 it connected Williamsport to the rest of PA. A group of Philidelphia investors opened the first saw mill in Williamsport and the timber boom began in 1838.