THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE
The western Rome Empire was much weaker than the more successful Eastern Roman Empire.
The Eastern Roman Empire was much stronger than the Western Roman Empire. The Eastern Empire had more wealth. Also, the Eastern cities were larger and better fortified.
Cities in the Western Empire were smaller and less prosperous. They were often poorly paid.
WHY WAS THE EAST STRONG?
- East was wealthier.
- The eastern cities were more fortified against attackers.
- Black Sea was a natural barrier that discouraged invasions.
WHY WAS THE WEST WEAK?
- Different kinds of people
- Government was poorly paid.
- Located far away from trade routes.
- Defense forces were widely scattered.