literal meaning opposite, is a rhetorical device in which two opposite ideas are put together in a sentence to achieve a contrasting effect.
COMMON ANTITHESIS EXAMPLES
- Love an ideal thing marriage a real thing
- You are easy on the eyes but hard on the heart
- Man proposes God disposes
- Patience is bitter but its fruit sweet
- These are all polar opposites creating a contrast effect
Examples in literature:
Alexander pope wrote
"To err is human to Forgive divine"
Parallelism defined: The use of components in a sentence that are grammatically the same; or similar in their construction, sound, meaning or meter. Parallelism examples are found in literary works as well as in ordinary conversations.
- Like father like son
- Easy come easy go
- Flying is fast comortable and safe
- Whether at home or work Captain was always busy
Parallelism in literature:by William Blake
“What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?”