alter ego (n.)
1. Another side of oneself; a second self.
Why Alter Egos?
- Feeling the need to protect or hide a part of oneself
- "For Fun"
- To accompany onesellf if they feel lonely
- To do things they can't see "themselves" doing
- No one but him
- He's the only person to turn to when in need
- He's in need
- TIgers are known to be fighters, survivors
- I would quote "Eye of the Tiger" here, but there would be 20+ lines
- Richard Parker was Pi's only sanctuary from despair
- As Pi says himself, R.P. Is the REASON Pi is alive
Because Richard Parker is Pi.
- Richard Parker is Pi's will to survive
- Richard Parker is his hope
- Richard Parker is the part of Pi that is keeping him alive
- Richard Parker is Pi
"This was the terrible cost of Richard Parker. He gave me a life, my own, but at the expense of taking one."
THE OTHER BLIND MAN
- Pi is about to die, hungry and thirsty
- He meets the blind man
- The blind man sufferers his fate
- "Something in me died then that has never come back to life"
- Pi survives
Coincidence? I think not.
PI WHEN HE IS LOST AT SEA
PI ALSO WHEN HE IS LOST AT SEA
Orange Juice = Pi's mother
Hyena = Cook
Zebra = Sailor
What is the real Story?
- "I told you two stories that account for the 227 days."
- "Neither of them make any factual difference to you."
- "You can't prove which story is true and which is not. You must take my word for it."
- "In both stories the ship sinks, my entire family dies, and I suffer."
- So why does it matter which one is true?
I like notes :)
"And so it goes with God"