Roman Art and Architecture- It was very different than Greek art and architecture. Greek statues were perfect and beautiful, while Roman statues were more realistic showing flaws such as wrinkles and warts. On the other hand, Roman architecture was similar to Greek architecture. Using rows, columns and arches, they could make vaults or curved ceilings.
My paterfamilia, or husband, is very strict and good at being head of the family.
My father punishes me whenever I miss behave, like my sister, aunt, uncle, brother, cousins, and grandparents. I have a big family!
Odes- Poems that express strong emotions about life. They were based off Greek poems, such as satires, poems that made fun of human weaknesses. Odes also set an example of cultural borrowing. Some famous ode writers were Horace and Ovid.
Rome writer Horace,
produced odes and satires,
- I charted over 1,000 stars
- I incorrectly charted the Earth at the center of the universe, but people still accepted my ideas
- I lived in Alexandria, Egypt
- I was lived at about 1500 BC
- I made up rules explaining the planet's and star's movemoents
Interview with Spartacus the Gladitor...
REPORTER- Hi Spartacus. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
SPARTACUS- I'm a gladiator, a slave who fights other gladiators or animals by force.
REPORTER- How did it feel to enslave 70,000 people and defeat several Roman armies?
SPARTACUS- Well, it felt great, knowing I had all that power, until I was defeated.
REPORTER- How were you defeated?
SPARTACUS- I was crucified with 60,000 others who followed me after two years of concerning Romans.
-Male: My schoolwork is very hard. I learn 3 subjects in school; reading, writing, and rhetoric, or public speaking.
-Female: I don't go to school. I stay home with my mother and learn reading, writing, and household chores.
WOMEN IN ROME
- Had some rights but were not full citizens
- Paterfamilias look after his wife and her affairs
- Women had a strong influence on their families
- The freedom of a roman woman depended on her husband's wealth
- A few women did work independently outside the home