Types of Financial Aid
- Federal Work Study
- Veteran Services
Financial aid is money provided by the federal government, school, state government, and private sources.
Federal and State sources are the largest sources of assistance.
The various sources provide the funds and the College is responsible for determining eligibility, disbursing funds, and reporting.
The major types of financial aid from Federal and State sources are :
1. Grants - "Free Money" Grants do not have to be repaid.
2. Federal Work -Study Program - provides financial aid as wages which do not have to be repaid, from working part-time on campus, tutoring, or community service positions.
3. Student Loans - Federal Direct Stafford loans are low interest educational loans available to college students who are enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours at OCCC), are pursuing a degree, are making Satisfactory Academic Progress, and meet other basic eligibility requirements. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education. There are 2 types of Stafford loans: Subsidized and Unsubsidized. The interest rate for loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2014 and before July 1, 2015 on both Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans is 4.66%. Visit www.studentloans.gov for additional information relating to borrowing and repaying students loans.
4. Scholarships- Oklahoma's Promise is a state scholarship program that pays for tuition for up to five years for students to earn a bachelors degree. Students apply while in 8th, 9th, or 10th grade and maintain eligibility through high school graduation
5. Tuition Waivers - Tuition Waivers may be awarded to students at OCCC based on either financial need or academic achievement, talent, or a combination of these criteria. Waivers awarded by the academic divisions are based on an application available from the Financial Aid Office during a predetermined schedule for each semester.
Fall Applications - Fall semester deadline is July 20th by 5:00pm
Spring Applications - Spring semester deadline is November 20th by 5:00pm
Summer Applications - Summer semester deadline is April 20th by 5:00pm.
To apply students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours for the semester they are applying for, be a resident of the state of Oklahoma, and continuing students must have a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0.