Sales team of 25 reps covering all of North America.
1. I joined the company to find everyone had a territory and quota- with little consistency or camaraderie.
2. Our biggest challenge driving repeatable revenue and results from this huge team.
3. 80/20- our top 4-5 reps were carrying the company with 80% of the results.
4. We had cancellations and false starts with customers because they were oversold and underservices once they were handed off to production.
ANSWER- we needed to fix our ship- it had too many holes in it for us to grow.
1. We looked at the financial performance of the entire sales team and identified every rep needs to bring in a minimum of 3x their cost.
2. Made a plan to turn the team around in two quarters.
3. Our primary customer would be in ideal markets and we would ignore the markets we historically didnt' sell in. Everyone would get to focus on this primary territories.
4. We reworked our sales process by structuring sales pods with 1 production person. We invested in consultative sales training- by having quarterly offsite training on how we sell. (Included production team members) Now a team of 25 lone wolfs were a team of 3 pods working a common territory. Each individual carried a quota but the factor of what they were paid out was determined by the total pods ability to meet their collective goal
5. Right people- this created greater teamwork, accountability, and positive social pressure. Those employees that did not like this environment self-selected to leave. Once this process was in place we ran a 0-churn sales team for 24 months and 90% of our team met and exceeded their individual quotas.