Dr. Ruben Puentedera focuses on apps/tools in 5 different categories that truly stand the test of time... (see below) and then builds App Flows based on how the tool is used.
- Social: Bookmarks, Discussions, Blogging, Telepresence, RSS Feeds, Microblogging, Wikis, File Sharing, etc...
- Mobility: Embedding information in the world for your students
- Visualization: Creating 3D objects, maps, timelines, mind maps, numerical data. textual data
- Storytelling: image assembly, sequential art, moving image, interactive media, interactive fiction, infinite canvas (take a comic and take away the edges of the pages)
- Gaming: system defined by rules
See more specific examples on his site: http://www.hippasus.com/rrpweblog/
Hear more from Dr. Ruben Puentedura here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NemBarqD6qA
and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpK7h4mjUhM