Headlines are CRUCIAL. Use the Billboard advertising rules of 8 words or less and here are common headline tips I use:
* Ask a question (starts the brain thinking).
* Sometimes I ask and then answer the headline's question in the headline.
* Present tense verbs (Learn not Learning or Learned).
* Use action Call To Action words such as READ, LEARN, SEE, DISCOVER, IMAGINE.
* Use Surprise.
* Create a slight confusion you promise to solve (similar to Q&A), but make sure you do solve it.
* Leave something hanging or missing just make sure you are clear you did that on purpose or you will get an army of emails (lol).
* Play off of cliche.
* Riff on a hyper-relevant topic (how cold its been for example).
* Riff on a universal condition or symbol such as Heath brothers use of duct tape on Made To Stick.